2 Timothy 1:12 – I Know Whom I Have Believed | KJV Bible Study
“For I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.”
— 2 Timothy 1:12 KJVSecond Timothy 1:12 is Paul's personal testimony of certainty — written from his second Roman imprisonment, chained, cold, deserted by many, facing imminent execution. And yet what emerges from the pen of this imprisoned apostle is not despair but one of the most unshakeable declarations of assurance in all of Scripture.
The context is essential. Paul writes in verses 8-12 that Timothy should not be ashamed of the testimony of the Lord or of Paul his prisoner, because God has called them both according to His own purpose and grace — grace given in Christ Jesus before the world began. The calling of God predates time; it is grounded in the eternal purpose of God, not in the temporal circumstances of a Roman prison cell. Against this backdrop, Paul declares his own certainty.
'I know whom I have believed' — three words of relationship before any doctrine. Paul does not say 'I know WHAT I have believed' — though he certainly knows the content of the gospel with precision. He says 'I know WHOM I have believed' — a Person, known personally, trusted personally, relied upon personally. This is the grace-age relationship: not the distant, mediated relationship of Israel with God through the Levitical system, but the intimate, direct, personal knowledge of the One who indwells the believer through His Spirit.
'And am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.' Three elements compose this certainty. First: he is ABLE — the capacity is not in question. The One who raised Christ from the dead is able to keep every spiritual deposit entrusted to Him. Second: to KEEP — the word is phylassō, to guard like a soldier guards treasure. Your eternal life, your salvation, your destiny is under divine military guard. Third: THAT WHICH I HAVE COMMITTED — the deposit is specific and personal. Paul has placed the entirety of his eternal destiny in the hands of the One who is able to guard it. This is the grace-age assurance: not 'I hope I can hold on' but 'He is able to hold what I have committed.'
'Against that day' points to the Judgment Seat of Christ and ultimately the day of glorification — the moment when every deposit of faith will be fully realized in the presence of the Lord. Paul writes from a prison cell facing death, but his gaze is fixed on 'that day.' The temporal difficulty — chains, cold, desertion — is not his reference point; the eternal certainty is. This is the perspective that the indwelling Spirit and the Word richly dwelling produce in the grace-age believer.
What have you committed to Christ? Your eternal destiny? Your future? A specific fear or grief? Add 2 Timothy 1:12 to each commitment: I know Whom I have committed this to. I am persuaded He is able to guard it against that day. The Keeper does not sleep. The Guard does not abandon his post. What you have committed to Him is safe.
Know Whom you believe. Be persuaded of His ability. Commit everything to His keeping. And rest in the certainty that the deposit is safe — not because you can hold on, but because He is able to guard. Study to shew thyself approved. The day is coming. Amen.
Watch the Full Teaching
▶ @ohhenry6524 on YouTubeNew videos daily · 7AM · 12PM · 4PM · 8PM KST
Read all Week 3-4 posts |
rightlydividingkjv.github.io
Comments
Post a Comment