Galatians 2:20 – I Am Crucified with Christ | KJV Bible Study

Week 4 · Day 24-1 · 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV

“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”

— Galatians 2:20 KJV

Galatians 2:20 is arguably the most compressed and complete statement of the grace-age Christian life in all of Scripture. In a single sentence, Paul covers the believer's past position, present reality, present life source, and ultimate motivation — and the result is a philosophy that transforms everything.

'I am crucified with Christ' — this is the positional foundation of everything that follows. The verb is in the perfect tense in Greek, indicating a completed past action with continuing present results: I have been crucified and remain in that crucified state. Paul is not speaking of physical crucifixion but of the spiritual reality described in Romans 6:6 — 'our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.' The old self — the self that was under the dominion of sin, under the condemnation of the Law, alienated from God — was co-crucified with Christ when Christ died.

'Nevertheless I live' — death is not the end of the sentence. The crucifixion produced not annihilation but transformation. The 'I' that continues is a different 'I': 'yet not I, but Christ liveth in me.' The old self died with Christ; the new self is animated by Christ. This is not mysticism but the practical outworking of the mystery revealed in Colossians 1:27 — 'Christ in you, the hope of glory.' The risen Christ indwells the believing soul through the Spirit, and it is His life flowing through the surrendered personality that constitutes the Christian life.

✂ Right Division

The final clause reveals the ultimate motivation: 'who loved me, and gave himself for me.' Paul does not say 'who loved humanity' in the abstract. He personalizes it entirely: loved ME, gave himself for ME. This personal, particular love of Christ is the fuel of grace-age living. Under the Law, Israel served God out of covenant obligation and fear of consequences. In the grace age, the believer serves from the overwhelming reality that the Son of God loved him personally and gave Himself personally for him. Love is the motivating dynamic, not law.

The phrase 'the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God' describes the mechanics of day-to-day grace-living. It is Christ's faithfulness — His own faith, His own reliability, His own steadiness — that is the resource through which the believer lives. The believer draws on the life of the indwelling Christ moment by moment, in the same way that a branch draws life from the vine (John 15:5, which Paul develops through the lens of the mystery).

✦ Application for Today

Begin each day with Galatians 2:20 as a four-part anchor: I am crucified (the old self has no power over me). Christ lives in me (His life is my resource). I live by the faith of the Son of God (His reliability sustains me). He loved me and gave Himself for me (love is my motivation). Let these four realities reframe every decision, every temptation, and every challenge of the day.

The Christian life is not imitation of Christ from the outside; it is expression of Christ from the inside. He died so that you could die with Him. He rose so that His life could animate yours. He loved you so that love could be your motivation for everything. Study to shew thyself approved — and live the Galatians 2:20 life today. Amen.

Galatians 2:20 Crucified with Christ KJV Grace Age Christ Lives in Me Identity

Watch the Full Teaching

▶ @ohhenry6524 on YouTube

New videos daily · 7AM · 12PM · 4PM · 8PM KST
Read all Week 3-4 posts  |  rightlydividingkjv.github.io

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

예언과 비유의 목적

Dead to the Law – Married to the Risen Christ | Romans 7:4 KJV

행위로 구원받는다는 다섯 주장 — 진리의 말씀을 바르게 나누라