Post #242: Paul: Ordained Preacher and Apostle | KJV Right Division (Week 9)
Post 242 · Day 59-2: 1 Timothy 2:7 – Paul: Ordained Preacher and Apostle
“Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.” — 1 Timothy 2:7 KJV
Paul's triple title — preacher, apostle, teacher — defines his ministry office. He adds the unusual parenthetical 'I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not' because his apostleship to Gentiles was so radical that it required divine attestation. The very fact that a former persecutor of the Church was made its apostle demands this kind of extraordinary claim.
Right Division: Right Division: Paul is the apostle to the Gentiles — our apostle. The Twelve were apostles to Israel, sent to the circumcision (Galatians 2:7-9). Peter, James, and John had the gospel of the circumcision; Paul had the gospel of the uncircumcision. Right division keeps these apostleships separate and assigns us to Paul's teaching as our doctrinal foundation for the grace age.
Comments
Post a Comment