Post #40: Galatians 3 – Law Was a Schoolmaster | KJV Right Division (Week 2)
Post 40 · Walking Worthy of the Calling (Eph 4:1)
"I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called." — Ephesians 4:1 (KJV)
Who? Paul (a prisoner, not a throne-sitter) urging the Ephesian believers to let their conduct match their calling.
Dispensation: Grace Age — 'therefore' links the walk (chapters 4-6) to the wealth (chapters 1-3); practice flows from position.
Key: "I therefore" — the hinge of Ephesians; chapters 1-3 establish what we ARE in Christ; chapters 4-6 instruct HOW TO WALK in light of it.
Dispensation: Grace Age — 'therefore' links the walk (chapters 4-6) to the wealth (chapters 1-3); practice flows from position.
Key: "I therefore" — the hinge of Ephesians; chapters 1-3 establish what we ARE in Christ; chapters 4-6 instruct HOW TO WALK in light of it.
Ephesians divides neatly at the word 'therefore' in chapter 4. The first three chapters establish the believer's position in Christ — chosen, adopted, redeemed, sealed, reconciled, raised up, seated in heavenly places. Chapter 4 then says: 'I therefore beseech you — walk worthy.' The worthy walk is not the condition for the blessings of chapters 1-3; it is the appropriate response to them. Worthy walking is described in the remainder of the letter: unity in the Body (4:2-16), putting off the old man (4:17-32), walking in love (5:1-7), in light (5:8-14), in wisdom (5:15-21), and in spiritual warfare (6:10-18). All of this flows from who we already are in Christ.
Application: Read Ephesians 4:1-3. The first three qualities Paul lists for a worthy walk are lowliness, meekness, and longsuffering. How does a person who knows they are seated in heavenly places (Eph 2:6) relate to others with lowliness and meekness? Is this contradiction or completion? Write a paragraph on how exalted position produces humble conduct.
๐ Subscribe for daily KJV right-division studies · Share this post · Comment your thoughts below
Prayer: Lord, let my walk match my calling. I am seated in heavenly places — let me walk with heavenly character. I am reconciled — let me be a reconciler. I am indwelt — let me be a display of Your life. Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment