Post #95: 1 Timothy – Conduct in the Church | KJV Right Division (Week 4)
Post 95 · 2 Timothy – The Faithful Steward's Charge
"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine." — 2 Timothy 4:2 (KJV)
Dispensation: Grace Age — 2 Timothy is the Grace-Age minister's final charge; its warnings about apostasy are increasingly relevant today.
Key: 2 Timothy themes: guard the deposit of faith (1), be a good soldier/athlete/farmer (2), perilous times coming (3), preach the Word — apostasy coming (4).
2 Timothy is Paul's farewell letter — written from his second Roman imprisonment, expecting execution ('I am now ready to be offered' — 4:6). Its tone is urgent, warm, and prophetic. Paul charges Timothy to guard the faith (1:14 — 'guard that good deposit'), suffer as a good soldier (2:3), rightly divide the Word (2:15), flee youthful lusts (2:22), and endure the perilous times coming (3:1-7). Chapter 4 contains the most urgent charge in all of Paul's letters: 'Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season.' The reason: people will not endure sound doctrine, turning to fables instead (4:3-4). This warning defines our current moment precisely. Paul closes with personal notes and his magnificent testimony: 'I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith' (4:7).
Comments
Post a Comment